HTML Help
HTML Help Central . com

» Online Users: 134

1 members and 133 guests
Most users ever online was 695, 02-16-2011 at 07:01 AM.

» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Domains For Sale

Linking to wmv file

Hi folks, I've got an interesting problem (at least, I think it's interesting:

I'm creating a CD for friends and family of movies and photos that I've taken while here in Iraq. I'm using a web-based interface simply because it's the easiest and cheapest way that I know how. My problem is this: I'm linking to a .wmv file from an href within the web page like so:
    Code:
    <a href="movies/iraqphotos.wmv">Movie</a>
    when you click on the link, it should navigate to the correct file and begin playing the movie in Windows Media Player, or at least, that's my belief. Unfortunately, I'm getting an error message saying "System cannot find the path specified."

Basically, what I'm attempting to do is create a CD that anyone, even the most un-computer savvy person in my family can simply put into their computer and check out these movies and photos. If anyone can figure out what I'm doing wrong with the path or knows of a better solution besides creating a DVD/VCD disc, I'm all ears. Thanks for the help!
    My Geek Section:
    SISO
    End of Geek section
    ---------------------------------------------
    War is delightful to those who have never experienced it.
    Help me earn $.06 by going to http://www.anydotcom.com and clicking on one of the advertised links.

Hello,

First, I want to thank you for everything you are doing for my family. I appreciate it tremendously.

The problem with you html is going to be a bit tricky to figure out. This is because the code you posted is correct in form. Your problem is WHY isn't it pointing (linking) to the file. The address is wrong... duh but why?

I will give a some of the possible reasons/solutions to your problem and hopefully you will be able to figure out which one is yours.

1. You might simply have the wmv file in a different directory specified. Are you sure that from the html page indicated you would navigate to a subfolder called movies. This subfolder would have to be a subfolder from withing the folder that the page is in that has the link to the movie clips.

2. Maybe it is an issue with Capitalization. Make sure nothing on the server is capitalized. iraqphotos.WMV might not work! I have seen this before with jpg's!

3. Try putting the absolute path instead of the relative path. For example put http://www.sand.com/movies/iraqphotos.wmv

4. Is the wmv file on a server on the internet??? I have seen numerous times where someone is trying to link to a file on there own computer. This doesn't work the wmv file must be accessable via a server on the internet.

5. Maybe the code is being changed by front page or whatever program you are using. Verify that the code on the website is the same as the one on your computer. Do the old VIEW - SOURCE from the menu in IE to see the actual code you have on the internet.

6. If You are sending this via an html email then that will not work either because you aren't sending the video clip with the email or the link just isn't working in the email because the video clip isn't were it is suppose to be on their computer.

7. Server restrictions might not allow people to view wmv files. WMV files will without a doubt be much larger than your typical file and some hosting packages don't allow this file extension to be used. This would typically be free webspace type restriction.

Hi, and thanks for the reply and support!

What I'm doing is attempting to create a cd that will have several files on it:

1. An autorun file that points to an html file or flash presentation. This works.

2. The html file or flash file that points to a file called iraqphotos.wmv (the case is correct) that is in a folder called movies.

3. A sub-folder called movies that contains iraqphotos.wmv (there will eventually be multiple movies in this file but I need to figure out how to make this work with one movie before I bother with any others).

4. I've even tried embedding a movie in a web page but that doesn't seem to be working either.

Am I doing something wrong with the path that I'mnot aware of? No, the movie will not be on a server, it will be localized to the cd and I should be able to just have a relative link to the sub-folder kind of like when you are writing you html pages on your local machine before you submit them to the web. I'm hand coding this since I don't like all of the extraneous stuff that programs like Front Page or other WYSIWYG editors put in.

Again, thanks in advance for any help that you can give me!
    My Geek Section:
    SISO
    End of Geek section
    Help me earn $.06 by going to http://www.anydotcom.com and clicking on one of the advertised links.

Ok it seems that there is a problem with the link pointing to a place that the file isn't.

I think it might be this? Since the wmv file is going to be on a cd and not on the internet I think you need to change the "/" to a "\"

Try <a href="movies\iraqphotos.wmv">Movie</a>

Second possibility:

Lets suppose that your cd drive is x:
    And lets suppose that the file structure contains the two files below:

x:\movies\iraqphotos.wmv
    x:\iraq.html

This means that iraq.html isn't in a folder but instead is at the root level and there is a folder named movies that contains a file called iraqphotos.wmv

This would work with the code you described.

If however you have the iraq.html file in the same folder as the wmv file then it wouldn't work or if the file wasn in another subfolder then it wouldn't work either.

ex: of improper structure would be:

x:\movies\iraqphotos.wmv
    x:\folder\iraq.html

In this case the link in the iraq.html file would link to this location using your code.
    x:\folder\movies\iraqphotos.wmv which of course doesn't exist.

If you are unable to get it to work after reading this post put the exact location of the html file and the wmv file.

Problem Solved!! Woohooo!

OK, I found out what I was doing wrong. As I was writing the code for the web page, I had the folder for the CD Project in the My documents folder. Since web browsers auto-insert ASCII character replacements (or something along those lines) the browser was passing a convoluted local URL to Windows Media Player. The URL looked something like:
    Code:
    c:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Owner\My%20Documents\CDProject\movies\halo.wmv
    which, of course, Windows Media Player doesn't quite get. Basically, what I found out was that when dealing with a project of this type, it must be in the root directory of the drive and there can be no spaces in the url of the folder or any part of the path that is being passed to the media player.

As a side note, when creating an autorun.inf file, if you are executing anything other than an executable file (ie an html file) you must use the command line instruction "SHELLEXECUTE=yourfile.html" instead of "open=yourfile.html". This causes the browser to open and then open the url. If you try it the other way, you get an error message such as "d:\ is not a valid win32 application".
    My Geek Section:
    SISO
    End of Geek section

Glad to hear you will be coming home soon and that you figured out the problem in the code.